Sunday, March 1, 2009

Understanding Intercultural Behaviour

Unlike Singapore, Indonesia is a country with Malay majority, much larger population, yet the government does not put much effort in bridging the differences between the majority and minority groups. Thus, in many intercultural conflict, the minority Chinese group has always been the prey.

Being a Muslim country, government schools in Indonesia mostly consist of Malays and very few Indonesian Chinese students because it is compulsory for all students in government schools to learn Muslim. Thus, Indonesian Chinese parents most likely put their children in either Christian or Buddhist private schools. Therefore, there is limited interaction between the different cultural groups in Indonesia.

Here is the story about this Indonesian Chinese boy, aged 14, who was put through government school in Fatmawati, Southern Jakarta (Sekolah Dasar Negri XI) .

It had never been easy for him to get along with others his race, moreover the Indonesian Malays in his new school. He was rejected in most private schools in Jakarta because of his frequent involvements in gang fights.

On his first day of school, none of his classmates talked to him, not even a single welcoming message. He could not care less. He was a complete loner. The only way to get passed the boredom was to listen in class. Unknowingly, he became more hardworking in his new school and he excelled in most of his subjects.

There were many incidents when the big bully in school tried to annoy and irritate him but he kept his cool. He had been the target of the top geek in his class, a skinny, four-eyed, curly-haired Malay boy. Many people called this boy Mat. He was an easy target because he had no back-up and he did not have a single friend. Mat was a popular guy in school because besides being a teacher pet, he frequently provided cheats for his classmates. On top of it, he was the son of the district mayor.

Mat ganged up with the big bully in school to get him kicked out of the school. "I could not stand the pale colour of his skin" , he retorted. To ensure Mat's plan worked out smoothly, Mat added a few more hundred thousands rupiahs to the initial agreed sum.

They waited for him outside the gate of their school after the bell rang. They pretended to be friendly. "Something is amiss" , he told himself. They led him to one of their favourite hangouts. The bakso noodle stall (warung) outside the school. They were hiding softball bats, wooden sticks under the seats. Big bully ordered everyone to scram. When the warung was empty, the fight started. Luckily, he always carried this folded knife with him. He had always been a good fighter, he managed to escape unscathed.

However, the news of this fight had reached the principal's office. He was called into the office and blamed for causing the fight. Again he was expelled without being given a chance to defend himself. The principal knew clearly Mat was behind all this chaos, however, he did not even mention his name, not even once. He did not want the school to lose strong financial back-up from the Mat's father, who was a district mayor. Corruptions happened everywhere in Indonesia because poverty was never addressed to its roots.

As a citizen of Indonesia, I could completely understand why the walls between the Malays and Chinese in Indonesia could not be destroyed. Having lived in Singapore for ten years, I have made quite a number of good Malay friends. But this were impossible if I were still living in Jakarta. Even my parents did not allow me to have any local Indonesians friends in Jakarta. Through Singapore's education system, I learnt to interact, respect and be more tolerant of each other races.

I strongly feel that schools are the right places for children of different racial backgrounds to interact and learn about one another. In schools, teachers play important roles as role models to instil this intercultural respect in the heart of the students.

As the world is becoming more integrated, we have to understand and respect others' differences if we want to be part of it! Due to competitive advantage, some things can be found in one part of the world while some are only found in certain parts of the world, therefore tradings occur. With tradings, we have to communicate and interact with people from other parts of the world, with different sets of culture and norms. This is where non-verbal communication plays an even more importsant role. I honestly believe universal values such as courtesy, familial ties, religions are embraced world wide. Thus,we should not neglect one just because he/she is not part of the majority group. In fact, if the whole world is homogenous, how uninteresting it would be!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jaenette,

    I like your post, especially when you highlighted the reality of living in such a country through the story of the little boy.

    I think that this intercultural difference example you have talked about is really difficult to resolve because it involves the government, involves the upbringing, how values and ideologies have been instilled in the children and adults since young.

    You are right. Schools should be the place, other than in our families, that we learn good values and proper interaction with others. I am glad that you have enjoyed what Singapore's education institution can offer.

    When I read the last third paragraph, I reflected on my experience throughout all my schooling days. And I realised I have taken the opportunity to really learn from a multi-racial environment for granted. Thanks Jaenette. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jaenette,

    Thank you for this passionate discussion of the challenges that you and other Indonesians face due to cultural misunderstandings. The central story of the boy is a poignant one. It demonstrates several things, but one is just how hard it is for kids to fit in to their worlds.

    Where did you find the story? Is it from a media source, or does it have a connection to your family? Clarifying that would perhaps broaden its impact.

    I have read quite a bit of Indonesian history, so I know "intellectually" about the social conflicts that scar your country. I wish I had more of a chance to talk to you about your own experience and that of your family. This post motivates me to learn more.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Grace,

    Thanks for reading my post. I am really grateful to be able to learn from a well-integrated multi-racial society like Singapore.

    I truly hope that my country can overcome this challenge and prosper one day. *cross-fingered!

    Cheers,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Brad,

    This is a true story connected to my family. It happened to my cousin, well not exactly, I had the inspiration from that incident.

    Thank you for reading my post, Brad!

    Regards,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jenn!

    I enjoyed this post very much, it kept me reading for more and more. I was very intrigued at hearing your story because I felt that you really brought out the essence of how a minority would feel in a country.

    I'm glad that after all that back in Indonesia, Singapore has allowed you to make friends and be more accomodating to those of different race from you. I believe that what you said about poverty not being addressed in the roots is very true. Because of widespread poverty in your country, it makes it even harder for many not to be corrupt, because everyone wants to better their lives.

    Your post not only speaks of cultural differences but also of equality differences which pose even more problems within your country. Like Brad, I am also interested to find out more. Thank you for giving such insight into your country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey,
    Thank you for this post!To be honest I was quite ignorant about issues that Indonesia face.However, I can understand how you feel as I, myself am from the minority group in my own country.

    I do believe schools play a very important role not only in education but also in teaching children how to accept people from other backgrounds.However, it shocks me more that these kids went to the stage of bringing about physical harm to the boy.

    I believe it is not fair to categorize the whole community by the wrongdoings of a few people. Thus, its important to ignore the differences and practice patience. So I hope that boy will not hate the others because of the wrongdoings of a few boys.

    Once again I am glad that you shared this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jaenatte!

    Firstly thanks for providing background information! It really helped me understand the situation better! Also that was really a scary situation! I was for a moment worried, thinking would the Chinese boy be injured or even killed!

    I agree with you that schools are the place for children of different races and cultures to interact with each other. It is an effective place for intercultural differences to be set aside as these children are at tender age where their values may not be as strong as in future. Thus, educating them on racial and cultural harmony will be the easiest at that time. Sadly, there are often barriers to this happening.

    I think it is often very sad that people allow intercultural differences to build a distance between them. Much can be achieved if people of different culture and ideologies are ready to accept the differences between them and treat each other as their equal. Therefore, let’s all always bear in mind that we should put in effort to accept the culture of others.

    Great post you have here!

    ReplyDelete